Design Inspirations

Thursday, July 21, 2011

New News :)

Cabinet Update: We were able to add them! Ryan did not pay for them but we put in change order # 9 this morning. Our sales Rep is great! Everyone knew how distraught I was about the whole cabinet situation sooooo that means my smile is back!

Now, I realized that since I did not get the gourmet kitchen upgrade, that I now probably wont have crown molding on my cabinets and I will not have deep sinks. I'm am dissapointed about not getting them, but I can live FOR NOW without those things. I will suggest to those just starting the process when you get your "homework packet" also known as the options list, if you are not sure what is included in something on the list, please , please ask! It will prevent a lot of frustration in the building process. If you see something in a model ask what is the upgrade called and/or if you see something in a model home that you want for sure make sure you ask what is that upgrade called on your list! I learned the hard way unfortunately. Don't get me wrong but I think these are some things that would be really helpful. I wish our model home was closer and that we went to visit it more often, I think we would have caught some of the details that we missed.

Impt info for Home buying newbies:

Also ask your sales rep has anything changed on the model that is different on the home you will get. Some counties and towns have different codes. This is especially important if you view a model home in a community in a different state or county. Different counties have different rules, sometimes they make your house look better and sometimes it can turn your dream home into a dirt pile of disappointments!

Other news: we have an updated schedule:

This week: Drywall will be completed

Next Week: Siding and trim will be installed

Third week: Finishing trades will be installed

Update!!!!
We recieved a letter with our official dates and times from Ryan today. :)

8/24/2011: We have a walk through is scheduled at 10:00 am. (((yaaaaay)))
8/31/2011: Settlement was scheduled on the PM's end on 8/29/11, but we recieved a letter from NVR yesterday with the specific day of 8/31/11 at 2:00 pm ((((yaaaay)))

We can use the holiday weekend to move... We shall be laboring on Labor day! lol


Finally:

Tomorrow our current house will be listed on websites for rent. I really hope we quickly find a renter for the home. I wish we could make it just disappear and not bother with renters but I haven't found any genie's in a bottle lately! The management company we selected seems really good and I have been happy with their service thus far. I hope the market gets better sooner than later, because we are loosing money with this property. We have to not only pay the property management company, but we also have to pay HOA fees for the home and a small portion to contribute to the mortgage. Good news is hopefully we will get to write all of these things off on our taxes.  We shall see!

Tomorrow we visit the house again and hopefully we have plenty of good pics to post. Until next time...Happy Building Everyone!

14 comments:

  1. Chelly ~ GREAT advise you gave!! We had a sheet listing the options, but I swear some of the options I see some of you getting, were not on our sheets and not something we thought of. Example, the molding on the kitchen cabinets.

    Closing is only about a month away!!! It will be here before you know it!

    I hope you find good renter's! I feel your pain, we are trying to sell a house. We moved into our Florence last Dec. and have had it on the market since Feb. Sold the first week then the deal fell through and have had two REAL LOW offer's.

    GS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent...Excellent...Excellent advise. Never ever assume that just because the model has something that it means you will too..especially in the kitchen. We are getting the Professional Kitchen upgrade and there are a ton of things that are included in this...

    @GS - If you think of something you would like to add but it is not on your options list, ask for it...it's called a custom upgrade. Your sales rep should submit it to the central office for pricing, then tell you the price and you then decide to add it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS BD, but we moved into our Florence in Dec.! LOL I only found these RH blogs in Feb. or March.

    GS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot...CONGRATS on getting your cabinets...I know how upset you were about that. You and HW look like you will still finish before us...we are tentatively looking at the 18th of September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gongrats hon! I know TOTALLY how you feel about being a reluctant landlord. We are in the same boat. And after being in this home for 6 years DIEING for a new kitchen....when do I get it?!..3 months before we are due to leave it! We are putting in new maple cabinets AND granite in the kitchen, both master baths and the 1/2 bath downstairs. The second master bath is getting a complete new bathtub/showr as well. We found a great contractor who gave us an amazing deal on everything so we had to do it. Our stuff hasnt been updated since 1977 (seriously) so hopefully we get close to what we owe on it every month. Fingers crossed for both of us! Hopefully you get your place rented soon with GOOD tenants that wont give you chest pains at night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!! So happy you got your cabinets! Great advice in your blog also! You go girl!!

    (hmmm..that reminds me to post something later)

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which cabinets did you end up going with and counter top? We are thinking bout switching too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Chelly! Can you send me an email I want to talk about management companies, my renter will be a family member so I feel like a management company is the way to go but I have no clue how much it costs. I'm at carlito4real@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Anonymous your welcome, I wish you would have found the blogs sooner...but I am happy to have you anyways...I am so excited, time is finally starting to fly by! I have never been one to rush through summer, but let the count down begin! :)

    @BD thanks, yeah I had to learn the hard way and I really wish I would have gotten the gourmet/professional kitchen now... booo hooo hooo lol (thats me crying) but I am very happy with my sales rep. I feel like I got my eleganant feature back in my kitchen. I guess for christmas, birthdays and anniversaries I will slowly be gifted my gourmet kitchen! :)

    Awww man, Septemebr 18th...thats a little later, than HW and I but its really only a few days. We have been waiting for what seemed like forever so those days will pass quickly! I can't wait to sit in my new home and drool over all of your to die for master shower, basement stone fireplace, bar, and professional kitchen (i may be a tad jealous when I see this, but you all have raised kids and worked hard so i'll keep that in mind):).

    @New Build Noob, thanks I have my fingers crossed tightly! I know you hate to leave all of that new stuff in your house. It sounds beautiful! Just 2 years ago we bought a new fridge, stove, installed microwave ove the range. We also added deck steps and hardwood floor to our main level. This summer right before we signed our contract with ryan we add pavers and a mini landscaping project to the home.

    Also fingers crossed @ renters giving us chest pains... aaargh @ the thought of uncooperative tenants!

    @ Robert, we got the andover maple spice cabinets (ryans incentive) but we added glass doors above the cabinets above the built in mirowave and we have glass cabinet doors along the outside of the island. Our counter top is the basic laminate (plan to change out in about a year, see holiday comments above lol) jahmoca is the color choice I selected.

    @ Carlito, Thanks! (cheesing)...sure I can send you an email. We live in Virginia but I am sure the prices probably are about the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chelly: did you consider forming an LLC (limited liability corp) for renting? My accountant told me that it would be a good idea to limit liability in the case something goes horribly wrong. Apparently, the tax liabilities and benefits are the same as if you are renting under your own name, but it protects you a little more. Our incorporation fees are very low (like 100 dollars a year) so i am considering doing it, just as an added measure of security.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome news!!!! We always love to read when a blogger gets what they want. Way to go to RH for helping making this work for you. We are just a few days away from closing. If you are using professional movers....book them now. We are having problems finding good movers 1) because it is the 1st of the month and 2) it is a holiday week. We should have a mover picked by the end of next week.

    @BD - why did your date get pushed out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ravenna Ranter, wow that is a really good idea. I forwarded that to the hubby and he is really interested in learning more. We are going to look into this weekend/next week! Thanks for that idea! :)

    HW, Yes I am so happy with RH right now. They are really doing a great job! *smiling again* OMG, thank you sooooooo much for pointing that out! Yes, we are getting professional movers!!!! I didnt even think to book early because of both of those reason! Sheesh! lol

    I love my enieghbors you guys are so full of good advice!!! I guess we will be looking for movers this weekend as well. Geesh, there sure is a lot of things that go with this process. I see I need to make a check list or something!

    Clean the house, for the perspective renters coming to view the house tomorrow... check

    get movers....

    look into LLC...

    pack...

    send NVR a 45 page fax with bank statements, tax info, 401k , my whoe life story....check

    get homeowners insurance quotes and select one... check

    call the utilities and set up appointment dates to be transferred to renters names...

    set up new utilities at new house....

    buy sealer for tile at the new house....

    okay im going to stop here...just way too many things to list! lol....


    thanks everyone for all of your help! I REALLY appreciate you all! These blogs have made building really fun and helped me to choose a home that I know will be wonderful! Hugs for everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to help. We feel the same way, we have learned so much from our efamily. Makes us wonder, what did people do before computers/blogging?

    We just faxed our whole life over to NVR as well; and waiting to see what else they will ask for. We are hoping that we can get this all resolved before interest rates spike.

    We didn't get an offical letter form RH or NVR confirming our dates. We gave the dates to our PM at the pre-drywall meeting, but we didn't get a confirmation. We will follow-up with our RH sales rep.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear ya on learning from our eFamilies...

    @HW...our dates are still tentative, but still in the ballpark of mid-September which is where we were targeting. I have always felt the 85 days was a pretty agressive schedule.

    ReplyDelete