So when I was looking at my windows in my family room and morning room, I noticed that they were two different types of windows. I kept thinking something was strange. So I looked at the model homes windows and saw that the model's windows were the same in the family room and morning room. The reason that it bothered me is because the morning room windows are much larger in the model and let in much more light and looks more elegant. So I emailed my PM with the pictures and asked him why the difference?
This is his response:
The design of both the family room and morning room windows was changed in 2010 when Charles and many other counties adopted the 2009 International Residential code. The new code required a certain percentage of wood structure in all walls to prevent a wall collapse due to wind shear in a high wind event. Your sales rep should have had you sign a drawing on the morning room windows at time of contract. I try to make sure you see all floor plans at time of precon where windows are shown also. We cannot change this as it would violate county code to do so. My apologies for any confusion. ~Project Manager
![]() |
| Our Family Room |
![]() |
| Our morning room |
![]() |
| model family room |
![]() |
| model morning room |
I was pretty disappointed to find this out, because the models morning room is so beautiful and lets in a ton of light! I still do love the fact that I have a morning room, its just is disappointing that it will not be this big grand feature with lots of light... :/ Hopefully it will look a little better when they finish, right now, it just looks dark...lol
I understand you being upset to find that out at this stage of the process, but I think you will be pleasantly pleased...the Avalon and Courtland have almost identical Morning Rooms (Courtland 1 foot wider)...I went back and looked at the pictures we took at the Courtland model and they exactly match the model that you saw, but the Avalon model that we saw has the window configuration that you will get. Take a look on my blog where I have the model home pictures...I think you will be pleasantly pleased...it's definitely not as nice as the Courtland model but still plenty of light...let me know what you think...
ReplyDeletehttp://ryanhomesavalon.blogspot.com/2011/02/outdoor-lighting-and-avalon-model-home.html
I understand your disappointment, and if it helps at all..I was so scared about how dark the house was when the framing was up. When the drywall is up you will be surprised how bright it will be!
ReplyDeleteOh I see. The top middle one is totally different and the bottom middle one is now split into two smaller windows vs. the big one.
ReplyDeleteThat is something I would be disappointed in too. But it still looks amazing!! =) And no one else will never know difference. They are just going to see your amazing morning room and be so envious! I'm envious! You have WAY more windows than we do!
BD to the rescue again!! =) lol
@ BD, that was the first time I saw those model home pics of your house! It is gorgeous!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI guess I just dont understand how they can have all of those windows in the sun room and not the morning room which has less windows. It does still look nice though. Thanks for helping me to relax.
@ Becky Thanks! I was wondering why the house always seemed so dark. I guess those white walls holding the light inside opposed to going through wooden beems makes sense. Thanks!
@ Noey, yes I was dissapointed but I feel ablot better by seeing the morning room in BD's Avalon model pics, and with Becky's comment about once the dry wall goes up, how much more lighted the house will be. So I feel a lot better, I just didnt want to have a dark morning room especially since we didnt get any side windows in the the living or dining room to let in more light! Thanks Noey for putting things in perspective, I am really blessed to have all of these windows. I counted the windows in my town home which has no side windos at all and was like wow! Thats alot of cleaning to do and treatments to hang...so your kinda lucky you have a few less windows. :)
Whatchu Talkin Bout Chelly!?!?!? I hope this doesn't effect me in my county. We couldn't get a solarium and we also could not have windows on the wall opposite the door to the deck in the morning room. Same thing in the family room which is why we purchased an extra window to let in more light. Something about being under the Airforce Base fly space and the percentage of wall vs. Window and we did have to sign something acknowledging it.
ReplyDeleteCarlito,
ReplyDeleteI think it affects everyone. Our model in the community is the Jefferson and we would have had the same windows as the Jefferson if it wasn't for the code change. We're in PA.
Chelly,
Girl trust me it will be plenty of light. We don't turn on lights in the house period until it gets dark outside because there is so much natural light in the house.
@ Carlito, I hope it doensn't however, after zooming in on the house that is being built behind the model home (in the morning room pic), that looks like a Courtland, it has the same revised windows they are offering in my community! Wow, I can't believe they said you couldnt have windows in those places in the MR and FR, that is crazy! Wow! I didn't know this affected you as well. Sorry. :( They really need to update that model, it is very misleading as well as the website! Hmph!
ReplyDelete@ 2011 I really hope so! I think we will be okay. That is great, that means a lower electric bill! We will have walls by next weekend, so I am anxious to see all of my precious light! lol