GM,
Since we began this journey and selected a lot, I have been wondering how much space will I have once our house is built? Our lot is about 9200 sq ft (rectangular) I wonder is this enough space for a decent size backyard? It's hard to tell the size, when they haven't built any homes on the street that we are building on. They have blocked off one house that they are building, however it was the biggest lot that they had available on our street at that time and its hard to tell since it is a 12,000 sq ft corner lot (of course that lot was sold already, we purchased the 3rd lot in our section)
Question of the day: What size is your lot and do you have a decent size backyard?
I think ours is almost 9,000 and we have a pretty large backyard, even with the big bulky stairs that come up from the basement.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so I'm hoping that I'm answering right, but I think ours is 20,000. I know for sure our lot is .5 acres and we have a big backyard.
ReplyDelete@2011 - That sounds about right for .5 acres, we will have just over 1/3 acre which comes out to about 15,000 sq ft. We have a corner lot which is very wide and not so deep. We will not have a very big back yard, but it will be very wide and we will have tons of space on the side of our house. While the backyard will not be that big in depth, the house layout actually looks small on the lot and we are building an Avalon with the morning room, 4' family room extension, sunroom, and solarium.
ReplyDelete@ Heather, okay great I looked at your "sneak preview pics" and saw the space you had and I agree that's a nice size backyard even with your walkout. I didn't need a park, but I at least wanted to have a little room for my pup to run around in.
ReplyDelete@2011, wow that is a lot of land! You guys will need to invest in a ride on lawn mower! :) That's awesome! That might be a little too much grass for us, coming from a town home, our current back yard is super small but we make it work! :)
@BD, Thats nice to have a quite a bit of space from on the side of your house from your neighbors can we say "privacy" ;) Yeah, if your house looks small on the lot, then your lot is a nice size, because that house is large , especially with all of those bump outs!
Thanks guys for the info, I think I have a pretty good idea how much space we will have! I'm so glad I decided to create this blog and stop lurking! ;)
We have .77 acres, which converts to 33541 square feet. (source: http://www.calculateme.com/Area/Acres/ToSquareFeet.htm )
ReplyDeleteWe have a nice flat lot, which is so hard to find in Western PA because of the hills. Our lot is a triangle shape, front yard is huge with about 60 feet on both sides of the house; and the yard gets more narrow as it goes back to the backyard.
@HW, WOWzers .77 acres! Yikes! You will have plenty of space for your baby to run around and explore in! Yes, I hear it's hard to find flat land in PA so you guys really hit the jackpot! Cha-ching :) (i'm feeling silly today) We live in a neighborhood with mostly flat lots as well, we do have a very slight dip at the very end of our property line. Thanks for the calculator as well, we have .22 acres according to the convertor 1/4 of an acre should be plenty is a good size. Thanks again everyone for helping me out.
ReplyDelete